Fayette County Commissioners
133 South Main Street, Suite 401
Washington Court House, Ohio 43160
Monday thru Friday
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Commissioners Meetings - Monday
8:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Commissioner: Tony Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org
Commissioner: Dan Dean email@example.com
Commissioner: Jim Garland firstname.lastname@example.org
The policy making and legislative body of the county...
POWERS OF THE BOARD OF FAYETTE COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
The Board of County Commissioners is the policy making and legislative body of the county. The Board organizes the second Monday of January of each year by electing one of its' members as President and one as Vice President. The Board establishes its own rules and order of business and must maintain a Journal. A majority of the full membership of the Board constitutes a quorum and is needed to take action on any proposal. Following are some of the major powers of the Board:
- To determine the officers and employees of the county that must file bonds and the amount and form of the bond.
- To provide for the borrowing of money.
- To acquire, construct, maintain and administer property, buildings and other public improvements.
- To accept gifts, bequests and grants on behalf of the County.
- To request reports from the county elected and administrative officers and to require their attendance at meetings.
- To authorize the employment of consultants.
- To adopt procedures for contracting and purchasing by competitive bidding.
- To adopt the Tax Budget and Annual Appropriation Resolution and to exercise control over expenditures. This can involve the adoption of a monthly or quarterly allotment schedule.
- To determine the compensation of appointive heads of departments and divisions under their control by adopting a classification plan and pay schedule. The Board may also designate the maximum number of employees that may be employed in each county office.
- To cooperate, or contract, with other political subdivisions to plan, develop, construct, acquire, or operate any public improvement or common services. The Board will also determine the terms by which the county will perform the services or functions of any other unit of government in the county.