Tenant Info

To Apply for Section 8 Rental Assistance

To participate in the Section 8 program for rental assistance you must be income eligible (see income limits for family size). If you are income eligible, you must contact our office to fill out a pre-application, which will place your name on the appropriate waiting list. To fill out the pre-application you will need to have names, address, birth dates, social security numbers, income, contact person, and amount of rent you are currently paying. The pre-application is time stamped and dated and your name is placed on the appropriate waiting list. Your name is selected from the waiting list by date and time that is stamped on your pre-application when filled out and given to the Housing Authority. It is important that you keep the Housing Authority updated on your address, family size, and income once you have filled out the pre-application. You must come into the office to update information, updating will not be taken over the phone. When your name comes up on the waiting list the Housing Authority will mail you an appointment letter. If you cannot keep this appointment you must contact the Housing Authority to reschedule the appointment. Failure to do so will terminate your name from the waiting list.

Interview Process

When the assistance is available and a letter is sent to you for an interview, you will need to bring in verification such as Social Security Cards, birth certificates, income verification, rent receipts or statement of address, tax papers, medical expenses, divorce papers, asset verification, and if applicable Veterans verification (DD214). You will have one week after your interview to turn in required documentation to the Housing Authority, if you cannot get the information within the specified time please call the Housing Authority or you will be terminated from the waiting list. When the Housing Authority receives all of the required verifications and the applicant qualifies, the Housing Authority will send a briefing letter.  Again it is very important that if changes occur you must keep the Housing Authority informed of the changes.

Briefing Process

All eligible clients will be sent a letter of the date and time that we will hold a briefing. The Housing Authority personnel will go over the rules and regulations for clients to participate in the Section 8 rental assistance program. The coordinator will go over the HUD rules and regulations (HUD) on the back of the voucher. This includes your rights against discrimination covered under the Fair Housing Laws.Also clients will be informed of the Housing Authority policies and procedures of the Section 8 rental assistance program. There are several documents that must be signed by the adult members that will participate in the program such as:

  • The voucher
  • The lead paint poisoning disclosure
  • The family obligations

The Section 8 certification

Clients will be given instructions on how to become leased with the Housing Authority. Once the client finds a suitable unit the landlord must fill out the Request for Tenancy Approval (HUD form). When this form is given to the Housing Authority, a housing inspection will be scheduled. If the inspection passes, the Housing Authority will prepare a contract to be signed by the landlord. If the inspection does not pass, a copy of the inspection report will be sent to the owner and the tenant. The report states the discrepancies that must be repaired. Repairs must be completed within 30 days or by the expiration date on the voucher before a contract for rental assistance can be signed.

Leasing Process

No payments will be made for a unit until the contract has been signed. The Housing Authority will not be responsible for any portion of the rent until a contract has been signed. The owner (especially if new) will need to come in to the Housing Authority office to sign the contract. The term of the contract is usually for a one-year period. After the first year, the rental assistance is based on a month-to-month term. The Housing Authorities portion of the rental assistance payments will be mailed directly to the landlord or owner. If the contract is dated for a date past the first day of the month, the rent will be pro-rated for a check to be sent out on the first part of the following month. After the initial signing of the contract, unless information changes, the Housing Authority will continue to mail the owner the check for that amount on or about the first day of every month. If the tenant’s information changes they must report the change within ten days of the change. The change must be made in writing by filling out the Reporting Changes Form provided from the Housing Authority. After review of the change, the Housing Authority will send a letter to the owner and to the tenant regarding information about the change.Once a client has a signed contract the tenant may be eligible as a participant in the Family Self Sufficiency (page) program.

Recertification Process

Once a year, about one hundred twenty days before the end of the recertification date, the Housing Authority will send a letter to the tenant to come in to the office. The information needed for recertification will be stated on the letter such as current income, rent receipts, utility bills, tax forms, etc.If the tenant has all the needed information, the recertification appointment will take approximately 15 minutes. An annual housing inspection will be scheduled. If you cannot keep this appointment you must call to reschedule before the appointment time. We will charge $15.00 for a no show if the scheduled inspection cannot be performed. Again if the inspection does not pass, a copy of the inspection report will be mailed to the owner and the tenant stating the discrepancies that must be repaired within 30 days.

Move Process

After the first year of a completed contract, the tenant may be able to lease up in any county they want to move to. Moving to another county is called a portability move. The tenant must give a written 30-day notice to the landlord and a copy to the Housing Authority before moving out of the present unit. The Housing Authority must perform a recertification on the tenant before moving. The tenant’s rent and utilities must be current before the Housing Authority will approve a move. If staying in the same county the tenant must have a Request for Tenancy Approval filled out. The process starts over again.

If moving to a different county, the client will need to inform the Housing Authority of the name, address and phone number of the Housing Authority in which they wish to move to. Portability move papers will be filled out and forwarded to the receiving Housing Authority.

Termination of Assistance

If clients do not follow the rules and regulations or the procedures for the Housing Authority they will be terminated from the rental assistance program!