The Fayette County Juvenile Court Probation Services' primary goal is to serve the welfare of children and their families and committed to providing the guidance, structure, and services needed by every child under its supervision. In partnership with the community, the JCPS promotes the healing and recovery of neglected children and directs delinquent children toward reforming their behavior in the context of increased accountability, enhanced community restoration, and expanded personal proficiencies.
- The Department's operation is defined by a treatment / rehabilitation philosophy that dictates that each child be assessed individually and receives the services necessary to meet his/her needs.
- The Department provides its services on an outreach basis, sending probation officers into the community to offer their assistance and supervise in the child's home, schools and neighborhoods.
- Probation Officers seek to establish a strong working relationship with all children to make their court involvement an opportunity for personal growth. Probation Officers develop a plan of intervention by addressing educational needs and goals, conduct random drug testing, order drug/alcohol/family counseling, oversee community service, assist youth with job applications/resume preparation, and encourage/educate kids to make good decisions daily.
- To respond effectively to the increasingly complex needs of children, the Department engages the involvement of parents and enlists the support of the community's other social service providers.
- Assessing both the needs and the public risk factors presented by each child, the Department employs a flexible system of response, ranging from bimonthly supervision to intensive daily monitoring of children restricted to home confinement.
- Although committed to strengthening family ties whenever possible, probation officers will recommend that the court remove children from their homes if their safety or the security of the public is jeopardized by their continued presence.
- By combining individualized attention and support through community networking, the Department hopes to instill in all children a sense of responsibility for their actions and a belief in their own innate value and potential.